As we're now stocking a fabulous range of Macrame cords we couldn't resist, combining this on-trend craft with our Lampshade Making Kits, bringing you this contemporary macrame lampshade fringe. Simply pick a coloured macrame cord to suit your home, make yourself a cuppa and set aside a couple of hours to follow our step by step macrame tutorial below.
What you’ll need to make your Macramé Lampshade Fringe
Lampshade made from Needcraft Lampshade Making Kit - we used a 30cm drum shade
Plastic hair comb
How to make your Macramé Lampshade Fringe
1. Start by measuring the circumference of your lampshade, if you’re using a pre-made lampshade. If you’re using a Needcraft Lampshade Making Kit, then we’ve created this handy guide of the circumferences below.
2. Add an additional 10cm to your circumference measurement, as a contingency, and cut the length of the macrame cord to match.
3. The set of cords below will make a triangle approximately 4.5cm wide that sit side by side around the circumference of the lampshade. Calculate how many triangles you need and cut the cords using the cutting guide below:
4 x 50cm strands for the knots
1 x 30 cm (split into 30 for the wrapping knot)
4. To make a triangle fold the first cord in half and attach it to the circumference cord using a larks head knot. Note the cord is laid over the circumference cord, not under so the knot sits facing forward.
5. Repeat for the other 3 cords.
6. Take the first four cords make a right-facing half-knot and place the right-hand cord over the two middle cords in a D shape.
7. Take the left cord and sit this over the tail end of the D cord. This is left facing half-knot.
8. Lift up the two centre cords and loop the left-hand hand cord through the D, so that it sits under the two centre cords.
9. Gently pull the outer cords to bring the knot up to the top.
10. Repeat the process but starting with the left-hand cord, placing it over the two centre cords to form a ‘D’. Take the left-hand cord and sit this over the tail end of the D cord. Lift up the two centre cords and loop the right-hand cord through the D, so that it sits under the two centre cords. The left-hand and right-hand knot together create a square knot.
11. Repeat with the remaining four cords so that you have two square knots sitting side by side.
12. Form the outer right-hand cord into a D and continue to make a right-hand knot underneath the two upper square knots. Then make a left-hand knot to create a large square knot, that joins all of the strands together.
13. To make a gathering or wrapping knot, take a strand of the 30cm split cord. Run the comb through if necessary to smooth out.
Working from the back of a triangle, lay the cord parallel with the cords hanging from the bottom of the triangle.
14. Wrap the long length around the hanging cords three times, making sure each wrap is tight and neat.
15. Pass the remaining long end through the loop and gently pull both the short end and long end tight. This will hide the knot under the cords.
16. Snip away the loose ends and repeat on the hanging cords of each triangle.
17. Open up each of the hanging strands using your fingers then take a wide-toothed comb and gently brush through the hanging strands. Repeat on each triangle.
18. To trim all of your ends to the same length, lay your fringe on a clean flat surface and stick down the top of the fringe using masking tape. Using a piece of rigid card or a magazine, decide on the length of your tassels use the edge of your magazine or card as a trimming guide.
19. Starting at the inside seam, run a length of Seamstick tape around the circumference of the bottom of the lampshade.
20. Starting at the outer seam start to apply the macrame firing so that the top lines up with the top of the tape, hiding it under the fringe.
21. When the two ends meet, tie the two loose ends together in a knot.
#macrame #macramelampshadefringe #macrameDIYproject #macramelampshade #macramelampshadetassels #macrametassels #macramebunting #macrameproject #macramecords #colouredmacrame #macrameskills #basicmacrameskills #macramepattern #macrametutorial #freemacrametutorial #stepbysteptutorial #lampshademakingkits #macrameart #macramestarterpacks #macramekit #lampshadeinspiration #lampshadeideas #drumshades #bespokeshades #uniqueshades #lampshades #lampshademaker #handmadeshades #lampshademaker